Temps is off and running into the playtesting phase. I had some ideas a couple weeks ago that really moved the game forward and gave me the momentum to get a prototype finished, printed, and on the table. It was a solo play with me taking on the role of two players. The game took about 80 minutes to finish which puts the play time squarely in the time frame of 60-90 minutes I am shooting for. Let me give you a quick rundown of Temps for those who aren’t familiar with it.
In Temps, players take on the role of startup companies that use temporary workers to complete jobs and earn money. Temps are represented by dice of different colors representing different specializations. These temps are hired from a temp agency, rolled to determine their skill level, and then placed into your office. Players start off with just two cubicles in their office in which to place their temps. Over the course of the game, players will improve their offices with training rooms, conference rooms, and many others. These rooms allow players to modify their temp workers so they can be more efficient in use. Players will use the temps from their office to complete available jobs by meeting job requirements. Completing jobs generates revenue, but players must then pay their temps. The winner is the player with the most money at the end of the game.
The best news that came out of this playtest is that the game works. I was able to finish the game! This is a big deal for a first playtest. And not only was I able to complete the game it took about as long as I expected. With all the tuning that will come through the testing process I bet the play time will sit a little above an hour when finished. This is exactly what I want.
Of course, I found lots of things that need to be addressed and tweaked. Let me run through a couple big ones.
Expertise – There are certain jobs that players can complete that will give them bonuses discounts when completing future jobs of that color. This just didn’t work at all. In the next playtest, expertise will give players additional revenue instead of decreasing the requirements of those jobs.
Ongoing Revenue – Some jobs give players revenue additional revenue each turn. The amounts I had set were way too high. I want these to give a small boost in the game but not determine the winner. I will be decreasing the payout of ongoing revenue.
There were a lot of other small items I want to address, but I don’t want to change too much at once. I’m looking forward to getting this game back to the table but with some actual players next time.